Today we continue our preview of the year ahead – we’ve already looked at the 10 hottest PC games to be released in 2009, and now it’s time for the PS3 titles to be analyzed. As I was saying, this year will be a great one for video game fans, since we’re having an impressive bunch of very promising titles announced and, to be honest, I found it really hard to choose just 10 games since other highly promising titles like Borderlands, MAG, The Agency or Batman had to be left out. (And no, I did not forget about FFXIII which can’t be included since it only comes in 2010). But enough talking! Let’s check out the 10 hottest games to be released in 2009 for PS3 systems:
10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II – it’s clear that Activision will have a tough competition this year for their upcoming Modern Warfare title, but this doesn’t mean that people will simply forget about it. Its predecessor turned the franchise into a real legend and, since it’s still one of the most popular multiplayer games, we have to place it on the list. The fact that it’s just at number ten just proves how promising other upcoming PS3 games are this year!
9. Bayonetta – there are still pretty few details about this upcoming title, but what we know so far is enough to make us want much more. Because we have a hot heroine to start with, who fights against monsters looking like angels and, as the cherry on top – she has guns in her boots, which means that combat sequences will be like nothing we’ve seen before. However, since Bayonetta is created by the man behind the Devil May Cry series, we truly hope that it won’t become yet another pointless button mashing title…
8. Prototype – shapeshifting, superman-like abilities, all sorts of disguise techniques and stealth options – these are just the things to get you started when it comes to Prototype. Add to that a general mass destruction (initiated by the player), fast paced gameplay and absolutely impressive visuals, and you have a GOTY candidate. Oh, yes, this has a cherry on top, too: it’s a sandbox type of game, which means that GTA could finally get a worthy adversary. We’ll see when the game is released to the public, but until then, you can check some Prototype videos!
7. inFamous – another sandbox-styled game that will only be available for PS3 owners this time. It will be a really electric game which allows players to be either heroes or anti-heroes – either way, having fun with their super-powers in a city that never sleeps, nor lacks action. The game is being developed by Sly Cooper creators Sucker Punch, which doesn’t really help the violent inFamous, but every company has to start somehow…
6. I Am Alive – one of my favorite upcoming games (since I am a sucker for Lost, Survivor and all similar shows) and possibly one of the biggest and most pleasant surprises of 2009. The game started pretty strong with an impressive trailer which I urge you to check out, proving that Ubisoft Montreal might have learned from its mistakes with Lost: Via Domus and is ready to give us the adventure of our lives. For real!
5. Heavy Rain – I hope that most of you still remember the impressive Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy) developed by Quantic Dream, the company which was one step closer to reviving the dying adventure genre. The same company decided to take things to a whole new level on PS3 consoles and deliver us a magnificent psychological thriller that promises to revolutionize both gameplay mechanics and visual standards for “new-gen gaming”. Probably a hidden diamond eagerly waiting to be found, Heavy Rain at shows bags of potential, to say the least.
4. Resident Evil 5 – there’s no surprise to have this title on a “Top 10” list, since all previous games in the Resident Evil franchise proved to be high quality products. Of course that’s not the only reason: RE5 promises to be a game as good as its predecessors and probably, just like Resident Evil 4, the previous game in the franchise, it will be able to set new landmarks in action/shooter games. Either way, everybody is waiting to get their hands on the game this March when it hits the shops.
3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves – Nathan Drake made its debut in the video games world in 2007 and amazed players with its intriguing combination of third person shooter, platformer and treasure hunting. Naughty Dog, game’s developers, promise that this year Nathan Drake will take us all to the next level and will soon become “bigger” than Lara Croft. Hopefully they’re not talking about certain body parts…
2. Killzone 2 – the game will be released exactly one month for now, reviews have already surfaced the internet and some gamers already tested Guerrilla’s tactical shooter and the general opinion is unanimous: Killzone 2 will rock the PlayStation 3 consoles and is clearly the hottest PS3 release of the first half of the year. And there’s really nothing else to say ’bout it!
1. God of War III – a game that promises to bring “hell on earth” as gods and titans battle each other in impressive settings – everything rendered at full 1080p HD resolution, with some visuals which will make Gears 2 jealous, is clearly a game to look after. Kratos will be up for a brand new adventure and, even though we have very few details about it or the final product, we can already anticipate that, just like the previous GoW titles, this will also be a “must have” for PlayStation owners.
What PS3 games announced for 2009 would you add to the list?