During the summer at E3, Nintendo announced that it was making a fourth game in the popular Super Smash Bros series for their Wii U and 3DS systems. Set to be released in 2014, the game will feature old favorites, as well as some new challengers. While there are 15 confirmed characters, there has been mass speculation on who will return, who might return, and who should get the boot.
The following list are the confirmed characters from the Super Smash Bros offiical website. We should note all characters will be in both the 3DS and Wii U versions. New characters will be in bold:
- Pikmin and Olimar (
- Donkey Kong
- Mega Man
- Wii Fit Trainer
For videos and pictures of the new and returning characters, check out the offical site. While Nintendo will be announcing characters before the release date, The rumor mill has been swirling with possible returning characters. Either fueled by the twitter of director Masahiro Sakurai, or by looking at past games, there are multiple lists of characters that very well could be in this game. Here is a quick summary:
- Ness: Sakurai tweeted a picture that included Mr. Saturn, showing that EarthBound would return to the game. Fans believe Ness would make it over Lucas.
- Captain Falcon: He was the last 3, so it is very likely he will return.
- Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Meta Knight, Zero-Suit Samus: These four characters were in pictures Sakurai tweeted.
- Ice Climbers: Sakurai talked about these characters in a conference, but no other proof was given.
- Mewtwo: In another conference, Sakurai would like to add the Pokemon X&Y version of Mewtwo.
- Solid Snake, R.O.B., Jigglypuff, Sonic The Hedgehog: These characters where all in past games, so there is a chance they will return.
Confirmed as being cut so far is Toon Link, who will be a background character in a 3DS stage. As both lists grow, we will be sure to keep you fans updated.