Yes, Modern Warfare 2 has indeed become the biggest selling game in history (we’re talking here about the launch period!), beating with about 50 million dollars Grand Theft Auto IV – the record holder until now, as well as a bunch of Hollywood releases from the past. In other words (Activision’s words, to be precise) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has become the biggest entertainment launch in history!
What does this mean? Well, it means that during the first five days since the game was released, Activision cashed in $550 million – a bit higher than GTA IV that generated $500. But that’s not everything COD:MW2 managed to beat:
– The largest reported five-day opening worldwide box office gross figures, held by Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($394 million)
– The largest reported five-day opening domestic box office gross figures, held by The Dark Knight ($203.8 million)
– The largest reported opening first-day domestic box office gross figures, held by The Dark Knight ($66.4 million)
– The largest reported first-day book sales in dollars, held by Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows ($220 million)
– The largest reported first-day worldwide video game sales record, previously held by Grand Theft Auto IV (3.6 million units, $310 million)
“In just five days of sell through Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has become the largest entertainment launch in history and a pop culture phenomenon,” said Robert Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard. “The title’s success redefines entertainment as millions of consumers have chosen to play Modern Warfare 2 at unprecedented levels rather engage in other forms of media.”
Congrats to Activision and Infinity Ward for their success!