Does Fallout 4 crash when it starts up, and you don’t know what to do about it? Fear not! We’re here to provide you with solutions to fix this problem. This article will cover the seven easy ways to solve the Fallout 4 crash on startup issue!
Why Does Fallout 4 Crash?
The reasons that cause Fallout 4 to crash vary. While some players say that the game crashes on loading, others find that it crashes a few minutes after Fallout 4 opens. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Video resolution
- Issues with the graphics card
- Hardware issues.
Solutions to help fix Fallout 4 Crash on Startup:
- Ensure that your computer meets the game’s minimum system requirements
- Update the graphics card drivers
- Temporarily disable your chosen antivirus program.
- Configure your graphics settings in Fallout 4
- Update DirectX
- Install the latest updates of the game
- Run Fallout 4 as an administrator and not a regular use
Let’s take a closer look at how to fix the Fallout 4 Crash on Startup:
Ensure that your computer meets the game’s minimum system requirements
The minimum system requirements for Fallout 4 are:
- Operating system: Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz or equivalent
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Hard disk space: 30 GB free HDD space
- Video: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB / AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent
2. Update the graphics card drivers
An outdated or missing graphics card driver can cause Fallout 4 to crash, so you must take care to make sure that your video card and its driver are working correctly.
In order to eliminate the Fallout 4 startup crash, you must constantly update your NVIDIA Graphics Card. If you use versions 358.91, 358.87, and 358.50, it is recommended to update them instantly. We would also recommend downgrading back to the 355.98 version so that you gain more stability when updating.
If you aren’t sure about which version you have, follow these steps to know more.
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run box.
- Type “dxdiag” into the command box.
- Click on the Display tab. You’ll find the latest version of the graphics card installed on your device.
- Once you begin to update the graphics card, you’ll find that the game becomes more stable.
3.Temporarily disable your chosen antivirus software.
It is common knowledge that the antivirus program in your computer is incompatible with Steam, Fallout 4 included. To stop Fallout 4 from crashing on startup, follow these steps:
- Temporarily disable the antivirus software installed on your computer
- Open Fallout 4 on your system to see if it works
- If Fallout 4 restarts to “works,” it should be an issue with your antivirus software.
- Add Fallout 4 into the exception section of your antivirus software.
4. Configure your graphics settings in Fallout 4
The settings in your Fallout 4 can sometimes be improper and lead to the crashing problem. To make sure this does not happen, check the following settings:
- Check that your computer resolution and the resolution in your Fallout 4 are the same.
- Go to the Graphics Adapter and Resolution settings in Fallout 4, and click on Windowed Mode and Borderless
- Uncheck the Enable Intro Video or Disable Intro Video options in your Fallout 4 settings
- Uncheck the Enable God Rays option in your Fallout 4 settings.
- Save these settings and see if the game stops crashing
5. Update DirectX
DirectX allows the software, applications, and games to work together with the video and audio hardware directly. It uses inbuilt multimedia accelerator features to enhance gaming speed and performance. If the DirectX Windows application is outdated, it can cause several problems, including Fallout 4 crashing on startup. In order to fix this, you need to make that you are using an up-to-date version of DirectX. If you find that the version of DirectX is older, update it immediately on your PC.
6. Install the latest updates of the game
Bethesda Gaming Studio releases the latest updates of Fallout 4 regularly. However, if you forget to install those updates, you are more likely to find that the game crashes on startup. To improve the performance, the security of the apps, the stability of the game, and fix the bugs, the company is constantly releasing updates. Install them all to prevent these errors from occurring.
Make sure you keep an eye out for the latest version of Fallout 4 and install them from Steam on your PC to launch the game without it causing any crashing problems.
After completing the updating process, reboot your PC. The crashing error is gone, and you are free to launch Fallout 4 smoothly.
7. Run Fallout 4 as an administrator and not a regular user
There are some Windows applications and games that need administrator privileges to run correctly. That is why you need to open Fallout 4 with administrator privileges to avoid the issue of crashing.
Follow these step to run the game as an administrator and prevent crashing:
- Go to the Fallout 4 icon on your desktop
- Right-click on it
- Go to Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab
- Enable the Run this program as an administrator option by clicking on the checkbox
- Click on the Apply and Ok buttons to save these settings.
Playing video games is one of many ways to kick back and relax after a long and tiring day. They are also one of the most popular forms of recreation, but it can be incredibly frustrating when the game you have been looking forward to playing all day won’t start but crashes when you try to start it up.
In this article, we’ve covered some of the reasons why Fallout 4 crashes on startup, followed by a list of solutions. While it may seem daunting to try and fix these problems on your own, they are easy to figure out. By going through each item on the list, you can solve the problem of Fallout crashing on your own and continue playing without any hassles!