Sony has a “coming soon” status for the 2.50 firmware update for the PlayStation 3, but the guys over at the official PlayStation Blog took their time a wrote a full-feature list of the upcoming release. So, without further ado, let’s check the new things we or our console will be able to do after Sony releases the update.
- Trophies enhancements: sharing and comparing trophies will be easier, since there will be a brand new first page icon allowing you to do a lot of nice things.
- Support for the PS3 Bluetooth Headset – pretty self-explanatory, I guess.
- A little tweak to the Friend Status, showing for how long people have been offline.
- Video playback is also improved with a PSP-like Scene Search feature that allows you to control what part of your por… ehm, documentary movie you’d like to see.
- A redeem codes option will finally be placed right on the PlayStation Store page.
- Power Save Settings, since everything seems to get more expensive in this world. This allows you to set your PS3 and controllers to turn off automatically after a set period of inactivity. This will go hand in hand with the new Background downloading function, which will allow you to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed.
- In-game screenshots – probably one of the most user-friendly enhancements brought by this 2.50 firmware update. It will allow users to capture and share screenshots. The only problem might be that only specific games (unannounced yet) will have this feature.
So, what can we say? This 2.50 PlayStation firmware update does come with a bunch of changes, which is good, but we don’t have anything huge with it. Well, I guess it’s better than nothing, anyway.