Does the steam open on startup for you? Is it making your PC lag and the speed drastically slow? If your answer is in the affirmative for the above questions, we have a solution. We will elaborate on trouble-free ways to stop steam from launching at startup on your Windows and Mac!
Why does Steam open at Startup?
Like many gaming engines or apps, Steam opens on auto-mode when you sign in to your computer. The auto-launch is due to the application updates, games, and settings on the platform. It leads to Steam using a chunk of your capacity and making your computer speed lag. Several users also complain of shutting down the application every time they have to use their PCs or laptops.
This article actively covers the following:
- Why Steam opens during Startup
- Easy steps to help disable steam from launching on both Windows and Mac during startup
Steps to Disable Steam on Startup for Windows:
- Open your steam application
- Click on Steam, which you will find on the top left corner of your screen.
- Click on Settings in the dropdown menu.
- Click on the Interface tab in the left column.
- Uncheck the checkbox that reads ‘Run Steam When My Computer Starts.’
- Click ‘OK to save the changes made.
Another way Windows users could disable Steam from launching during startup without opening the application; would be from the task manager.
How to disable Steam using task manager:
- Right-click on the Start button
- Click on Task Manager
- Click on the Startup tab at the top of the screen
- Look for Steam Client Bootstrapper and right-click
- Select disable. Disabling will stop Steam from launching during startup.
Steps to disable Steam on Startup for MAC:
- Launch Steam
- Click on the Steam menu at the top left corner of your desktop
- Select Preferences from the dropdown box
- In the window that appears, click on Interface on the left column
- Uncheck the checkbox that reads ‘run steam when my computer starts.’
- Click OK
Steam will no longer immediately launch when you sign in to your computer by following the above steps. Neither will it clog your computer capacity, providing you with a smooth and faster user experience.
Steam is one of the most reputed and significant names in the world of online gaming. It has over 100 million active users every month. It is a popular cloud-based gaming application, but many users have been struggling and feeling frustrated with its automatic launch while starting up a computer. It also tends to obstruct bandwidths and cuts down the speed of the overall system while it runs in the background.
We have tried and offered the most optimal solutions to provide you a refined user experience.