There’s a ton of gaming facts and curiosities, but only a minor part of them are interesting. That’s why in this article we’ve compiled the best ones.
1. Final Fantasy has that name because the founder of the current Square Enix had to use the last reserves in money of the company to create the game. Luckily it was not the end of his fantasy.
2. The first Easter Egg found in a videogame was in “Adventure”, an Atari 2600 game. Inside a room you could find the name of its creator.
3. The urban legend of Polibius is about an alleged arcade video game that was withdrawn from the market for causing neurological disorders to its players, leading to dizziness, suicidal tendencies, vomiting, nervous tics, amnesia and nightmares.
4. In China, minors are forbidden by law to play for more than 90 minutes a day. The Chinese government established this legislation with the intention of combating video game addiction and academic underachievement.
5. Sony went so far as to promote its PSP by paying graffiti artists who painted graffiti in several U.S. cities with the theme of the new console. This annoyed many passers-by and ended up in court with a “cease and desist” order for the company.
6. While Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that clearly lacked development time, it shows its attention to detail in several aspects. In one mission your colleague Panam takes damage from a ricochet, and when you meet her later you will notice that a scar remains on the same affected part of her body.
7. The fog in Silent Hill offers a gloomy aspect characteristic of the saga. Although in its first installment this decision was conditioned by the technical limitations of the Playstation, in order to reduce the rendering distance.
8. In Garry’s Mod one of the achievements is called “Yes, I am the real Garry!” and to unlock it you must enter a server where you find Garry Newman, the creator of the mod, connected.
9. In Night City – the fictional city of Cyberpunk 2077 – it is literally a crime to put pineapple on pizza.
10. DCS World is a commercial game with virtual reality support that is currently used by U.S. Air Force pilots for training due to its remarkable accuracy and realism.
11. Free Fire became the most downloaded mobile game in 2019, with over 450 million installs. The maximum record of players per day reached 80 million in 2020.
12. In Red Dead Redemption 2, if Arthur gets drunk enough it is possible for him to talk to animals.
13. The first commercial video game console in history was the Magnavox Odyssey. It quickly became a sales success in its early days, being discontinued 3 years later. In Mexico it was launched as Magnavox Odyssey in 1972.
14. In the remaster of Mass Effect Legendary Edition they have updated the texture of Pluto with photos taken by Nasa’s New Horizons probe during its space mission in 2015.
15. In Red Dead Redemption 2 if we kill an animal and we don’t pick up its corpse it will remain for several days in the same place while it rots with the passage of time.
16. In Red Dead Redemption 2 the comments that the protagonist makes to the horses vary in relation to the sex of the animal. If the horse we ride is male, Arthur will say “Good boy”. On the other hand, if we ride a mare, he will say “Good Girl”.
17. In Red Dead Redemption 2 if you start to get excessively annoying in your own camp, one of your gang members will come to knock you out with a punch.
18. For the release of Resident Evil: Village, a McDonald’s had to inform customers that they were going to be short-staffed that day.
19. In Red Dead Redemption 2 although Arthur does not drown in the water, he does have considerable difficulty swimming. In the Wild West era, few people knew how to swim and Rockstar wanted to give the game a touch of realism with this detail, among many others.
20. The Fairchild Channel F was the first console to use cartridges for its games. It had a processor capable of reproducing an AI complex enough to play games against the machine.
21. In the PS4 Spiderman a strange glitch can occur that turns NPCs into denim mannequins.
22. The video game crisis of 1983 lasted for 2 years and occurred mainly because the market was saturated due to many consoles being released at the same time. The personal computer market had also grown and was taking ground, taking away users that until then were console users.
23. The Cordycepts that possess people in The Last of Us is a fungus that exists in reality, although it only attacks insects and some arthropods.
24. When The Simpsons Hit & Run was released, SEGA filed a lawsuit against Fox Interactive for plagiarism, since in 2001 they had obtained a patent to show floating arrows in their games.
25. During its development, Need for Speed Most Wanted contained many extra areas such as the airport, a junkyard, a museum and an asylum, although they were later discarded or remodeled.
You are at the middle of this post. There’s still more video game facts :)
26. In the Zelda: Breath of the Wild game you can find a character with similar features to Robin Williams, the late actor. He was probably created as a tribute since the actor was a well-known fan of the saga.
27. The first video game classified for adults for its violent images was Jack the Ripper, an adventure game released in 1987.
28. The face of the first Max Payne is based on the face of video game screenwriter Sam Lake, who lent his figure to model the character.
29. In Left 4 Dead you can find burnt banknotes in the bonfires that the survivors threw to light them, since in the middle of the apocalypse money has no value.
30. In The Sims 4 a rare glitch occurs that alters the appearance of babies, showing them with protruding eyes or deformed face and limbs.
31. Universal Studios even sued Nintendo for considering that Donkey Kong was infringing copyrights, alleging that the name and the plot of the character could be confused with King Kong.
32. The creators of Cuphead took the decision to remortgage their homes in order to expand the team of people working on the game.
33. In Grand Theft Auto V, a full day is 48 minutes of gameplay. This means that an hour elapses every 2 minutes.
34. In Skyrim there is a room where most of the NPCs you have killed in the game appear. It can be accessed using the command console.
35. In The Simpsons Hit & Run the main menu of the game will change its theme depending on whether the date of the console or PC coincides with Halloween, Christmas or Thanksgiving.
36. In Grand Theft Auto V there is light pollution: the stars will hardly be seen in the city due to the pollution. Although if we move away several kilometers we will be able to observe the starry sky along with each constellation.
37. In 2017, the story of a 5-year-old Japanese boy who built his own Nintendo Switch out of cardboard became known. A fake news was also viralized saying that Nintendo had sued the child.
38. According to Steamladder data, the highest valued Steam profile has an account estimated at 279,114 dollars. However, most of its price does not come from games but from accumulating stickers and badges.
39. Rockstar Games decided a few years ago to stop hiring famous actors for the voices of their games. According to Dan Houser it was to not deal with their games anymore and because they believe they offer a better sense of immersion by using unfamiliar voices.
40. Lindsay Lohan sued Rockstar for the alleged non-consensual use of her image in the girl that appears during the loading screen in GTA V. Her lawsuit was dismissed.
41. According to a 2021 survey of women in countries such as Germany, USA and China, 59% revealed that they hide their gender in online games to avoid harassment by other players.
42. In Assassins’s Creed Odyssey, it can be observed that bodies left floating in the water come to be devoured by sharks. This is mostly seen in naval battles.
43. In Death Stranding, zooming in to observe Sam in his room will react in various ways. If you look at his upper torso or face he will flex his arms. On the other hand, if you focus on Sam’s crotch he will be annoyed, and if you insist he will end up hitting the camera.
44. In Cyberpunk 2077 the color of the NPC’s blood changes in relation to the amount of cybernetic implants they have. When most of their organs and limbs are replaced with Cyberware implants, their blood will look oil-colored.
45. In Cyberpunk 2077 you can find a cemetery called Columbarium, where each character that died during the plot development will have its respective niche.
46. In Days Gone, the pause menu shows you the number of days that have passed since the zombie epidemic. Although if you pause the game during a flashback it will show you 0 days, since the apocalypse had not yet been unleashed.
47. In Red Dead Redemption 2, Arthur’s pupils dilate depending on the amount of light entering his eye. Clearly, they dilate more at night.
48. A player recreated the mythical neighborhood of Chavo del 8 in Halo 5, creating a playable map which is compatible with all game modes.
49. In GTA San Andreas, the desert and Las Venturas have unique weather with sandstorms. If you are in a police chase, the helis will stop chasing you 30 seconds before the storms occur. The chase resumes when they fade away.
50. A study conducted in 2021 by the GAME chain has found that the most requested classic game remaster is The Simpsons Hit & Run.
This article was written by Full Games, which is an online digital game store with great deals in steam gift cards and steam game keys.