Action-adventure is perhaps one of the most popular video game genres today, and the list of games long exceed Super Mario Bros. and Pong. With pompous storylines, mesmerizing graphics, stunning gameplay, and equally fantastic protagonists, modern open-world games offer the perfect opportunity for exploration.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at five famous explorers in video games and the titles that made them popular. But before we begin, here’s a treat for video slot enthusiasts from the house of Swedish iGaming software developers, Play’n GO. Check out their latest Book of Dead RTP exclusively on Casino Bee.
5 Best Explorers in Video Games
- Arthur Morgan, Red Dead Redemption 2 – Perhaps the most illustrated title in video gaming history, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an incredible piece of art designed by Rockstar Games. The storyline finds the protagonist on the run from law enforcement. The title isn’t your average western action-adventure flick, although there are gun battles in sufficient quantities. Players can either choose to play as a law-abiding citizen or a morally corrupt crook. And the decision affects the storyline.
- Dovah-Kiin (Dragon Born), Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – The fifth instalment of Bethesda’s immortal Elder Scrolls series is undoubtedly the most memorable. Players star in the shoes of Dovah-Kiin in an open-world scenario and are free to explore as they feel. While the world of Skyrim is ever-expanding, the gameplay doesn’t simply narrate a story. There’s so much more happening and that is what keeps you hooked. Skyrim is interactive games at their finest!
- Geralt of Rivia, The Witcher 3 – RPG fans will not have trouble relating to The Witcher 3. The title gained massive popularity in the last few years thanks to its complex yet engulfing storyline, deep-rooted gameplay, and class-leading graphics. The storyline sees Geralt of Rivia dealing with the Niflgaard Empire as they invade the Northern Kingdom. The game offers players massive room for exploring their surroundings with tons of interactive NPCs and side quests to keep them pleasantly occupied.
- Jason Brody, Far Cry 3 – The only game in this list to draw a comparison with Skyrim, Far Cry 3 is an iconic action-adventure title that encourages hunting, crafting, and exploration. Players fill the shoes of Jason Brody, who arrived on the Rook Islands while paragliding with friends, before being captured by pirates. The gameplay progresses with Brody trying to escape his captors. Players can wander freely through the entire island, while occasionally crossing paths with items that help with the gameplay.
5. Noctis Lucis Caelum, Final Fantasy XV – If a video game series has fifteen instalments you can be certain it’s good! And Final Fantasy XV does not disappoint. The storyline starts with a war between Niflheim and Lucis. Players take control of the Prince of Lucis and he embarks on a grand journey with friends to defeat the opposition. Along the way, players interact with the open-world environment, unlock side quests, and gather collectables.