PSP Firmware to Get 5.50 Update
Another firmware update will be soon released by Sony – this time for the PlayStation Portable, taking the system software to version 5.50. This update will certainly make PSP owners quite happy, since it introduces quite a few welcomed changes, including an information board similar to that on the PS3. Below you can read the full list of improvements and additions, as presented by the official PlayStation blog:
– An Information Board on the PSP system’s XMB
– Memory Stick improvements – You’ll be able to create and access sub-folders on your Memory Stick PRO Duo for music, videos and photos.
– Internet search for games directly from the XMB – You’ll be able to easily search the Internet for information about your PSP games.
– Trend Micro trial – PSP’s Internet browser is a great tool for checking out your favorite Web sites on the go, and we’re teaming up with the Internet security experts at Trend Micro to make the Web browsing experience safer and more secure. Of course, this service won’t be for free, but you will be allowed for a free trial which will give you access to the following services:
1. Trend Micro Web Security, using Web reputation technology to block PSP owners from accidentally visiting a Web site that may contain malicious content designed to steal personal information and confidential data.
2. Trend Micro Kids’ Safety, using URL filtering technology to prevent children from accessing Web sites that feature inappropriate content.
So, as I said, quite welcomed the additions to hit the PSPs with this firmware update. Now all we have to do is to wait for it to be released!